8 Semesters (4 years)
A student shall be admitted directly into the B.Sc. Combined Degree (Major/Major) Programme at Level 1. The Faculty offers the following Subject Combinations in this programme:
- Biological Sciences/Physics
- Computer Science/Physics
- GEP (Environmental Science)/Physics
GEP – Geography, Environmental Science and Planning
General Entry Requirements:
- SGCSE/IGCSE Admission – A minimum of six (6) subject passes (at E grade or better), which must include passes at C grade or better in English Language and at least four other subjects.
- G.C.E. O Level Admission – A minimum of six (6) subject passes in the GCE O Level, which must include passes at C grade or better in English Language and at least four other subjects
- A Level Admission
- A candidate who has taken acceptable A Level examinations may be admitted into Semester 1 of the programme. Such a candidate may be exempted from taking a course(s) already passed at A Level with a D grade or better.
- A candidate who has at least two grades of C or better at A Level, or an equivalent qualification in the Science subjects offered at the University, may be exempted from the first year of the programme, provided he/she fits into an acceptable (Level 2) programme. Such a candidate may be required to take and pass a course(s) normally taken by students in their first two semesters (Level 1).
- Mature Age Entry Admission
- A candidate must be 22 years or older on the first day of the University Academic year in which admission is sought.
- A candidate should have completed SGCSE/IGCSE or equivalent with at least four (4) passes.
- No candidate who has previously attended at the University may be re-admitted to the University under these regulations to a programme in which he/she has previously been unsuccessful during the previous attendance
- A candidate who satisfies conditions (1) to (3) above will be required to sit a Special Entrance examination which will consist of a general paper and a special paper that will be a combination of Science and Mathematics.
- A candidate will be recommended to the Admissions Committee having satisfied all the MAEA conditions and having passed both papers.
- The University will consider a candidate’s admission on the recommendation of the Mature Age Entry Committee.
IGCSE – International General Certificate of Secondary Education
MAEA – Mature Age Entry Admission
SGCSE – Swaziland General Certificate of Secondary Education
Programme Special Entry Requirements:
- SGCSE/IGCSE – In addition to the requirements indicated above, an applicant must have a C grade or better in Mathematics/Additional Mathematics and THREE subjects to be chosen as either Co-ordinated Sciences or Two of Biology, Chemistry, Combined Science, Geography, Information and Communication Technology, Physical Science, Physics and any other subject(s).
- G.C.E. O Level – In addition to the requirements indicated above, an applicant must have a C grade or better in Mathematics/Additional Mathematics and THREE subjects to be chosen as either Additional Combined Science AND Combined Science or two of Biology Chemistry, Geography, Physics, Science (Chemistry/Physics) and any other subject(s).
The University Calendar provides comprehensive information on the entry requirements and programme structure.
Possible careers for BSc. Physics Major include but not limited to:
- Sound Engineer
- PHY101 Introductory Physics I
- PHY102 Introductory Physics II
- PHY201 Practicals in Physics I
- PHY211 Mechanics
- PHY221 Electricity and Magnetism
- PHY271 Mathematical Methods for Physicists
- PHY202 Practicals in Physics II
- PHY232 Modern Physics and Wave Optics
- PHY242 Thermodynamics
- PHY282 Computational Physics I
- PHY301 Practicals in Physics III
- PHY311 Analogue Electronics I
- PHY341 Quantum Mechanics I (Pre-req PHY232)
- PHY351 Research Methods in Physics
- PHY312 Analogue Electronics II
- PHY322 Classical Mechanics Pre-req PHY211)
- PHY332 Electromagnetic Theory I (Pre-req PHY221)
- PHY411 Digital Electronics I
- PHY441 Nuclear Physics (Pre-req PHY341)
- PHY461 Statistical Physics and Thermodynamics
- PHY499 Research Project
- PHY412 Solid State Physics
- PHY482 Computational Physics II (Pre-req PHY282)
- PHY499 Research Project
At all levels, any UNESWA course of which a student has satisfied its prerequisite requirements may be considered an elective. Below is a list of suggested elective courses from the Department of PhysicsLevel 4
- PHY401 Practicals in Physics IV
- PHY491 Theoretical Physics
- PHY493 Quantum Mechanics II
- PHY402 Practicals in Physics II
- PHY492 Introduction to Relativity
- PHY494 Laser Physics
- PHY496 Industrial Physics
- PHY422 Digital Electronics II